Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Two of My Most Favorite University Resources

The library & the gym.

Lately, I've fallen in love again with reading (probably because I don't have a ton of required reading to do this semester) and I have taken full advantage of my university's library. I bet half the students only step foot in the library to look for research paper materials and never again. That's so sad! There are LOTS of great things in the library. I am a lover of nonfiction books, so there are plenty to keep me excited. I have recently fallen in love with the audio books section. It is a new section of the library so it's not very large, but it's wonderful for a long-distance commuter like myself. They have a great variety from fiction, nonfiction, history, self-help, spiritual...you name it. Study rooms are a favorite resource for me on test days, and, of course, there's also the most used resource at the library: internet access. You can even use internet access to go to the library's web page which has a ton of useful links (card catalog, check your due dates, etc.) but you can even gain access to free e-book downloads as well. Probably the best resource in the entire library is the reference librarians. Oh my gosh---they are SO helpful! When I was writing my last big paper in the fall, the reference librarian saved me hours of research trying to dig up sources and/or information. He was even so specific, he gave me page numbers of the books I was to look up!

My other favorite university resource is the wellness center (gym). I live nowhere near a gym nor would I want to shell out money for a gym membership when I have a fantastic wellness center on campus that I can use for free! It's filled with the latest cardio equipment and weight systems plus an indoor walking track, basketball court (okay, I'll never use that one), and even a rock climbing wall. How cool is that? (I've GOT to try it before I graduate). Luckily for me, I usually use the gym at noon after I get out of class and it is pretty slow at that time of the day. That means I get first dibs on selecting the channels to watch on tv!

Did I mention that all these things are FREE??? Oh yea...I'm taking advantage while I can.

No comments: