Monday, March 24, 2008

What Am I Going to Be When I Grow Up?

Today is my thirtieth birthday...for the second year in a row. I don't particularly mind being 31, but I am frustrated by the fact that by all accounts, I am "all grown up," yet I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up!

People regularly ask me, "What are you going to do with your degree" and I usually answer them, "I'm going to frame it and hang it on my wall." Honestly--that is the extent of my plans right now.

I'd like to have some plans, but I am partially hindered by my geographic location; some of the things I'd like to do are not available in my corner of the world. I could continue on the path of self-employment and do plenty of freelance work, but I have come to the conclusion that I work much more effectively under some sort of structure, unfortunately.

It doesn't give me any peace knowing that my father, who has a successful career in the corporate world of agriculture, still ponders what he will be when he grows up, too.

*sigh*

Maybe the best thing to do is to quit thinking about it and eat some chocolate instead. Chocolate..yes, THAT'S the answer! :)

No comments: