Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Unexpected

I always assumed that when I did finally get back to college, I would still be studying the same subject I began with: English or more specifically, English Education. Right before I enrolled, I decided to switch to Mass Communications (a.k.a. Journalism) for a number of reasons (one of them being a speedier exit to a diploma, I'll admit). I second-guessed the decision for months. My first day of class, I remember pro & con-ing it to death on the drive to school, wondering if I had made a mistake. I finally told myself to relax, that I could switch to a Mass Comm minor & back to English major if I needed to after the first semester without a problem.

Funny how things change.

For most of my life I loved English studies.....literature, writing, poetry, etc. It was my forte'. Now, I can't stand it.

I'm totally loving my journalism classes and find that communications writing interests me SO much more than academic writing that is required in my English classes. In fact, I DREAD my English classes now. Actually, I'm only taking one this semester, but the thought of having to sit through an advanced poetry composition class in the spring makes me want to have an anxiety attack. I can't think of anything more annoying except maybe the sound of fingernails on a chalkboard!

Today I have decided that I am dropping my English minor, thus stepping away from English altogether. Instead, I will have a plain-sounding "Multidisciplinary Studies" minor with an emphasis in Fine Arts & Humanities. Yes, it sort of bothers me to have such a "catch-all" minor, but if the real point of this journey back to school is to leave with a degree and have fun learning stuff along the way, then who cares? Right?

I know that my disinterest in English studies is based on my current composition class which is frustrating me beyond belief and exhausting my brain. I actually enjoy my little class (it's an advanced senior level class so there are fewer than ten in the room)--we have great discussions and conversations--but the writing is drudgery for me. I don't care about being published in academic journals or dissecting a long-dead writer's novels. Plus, journalistic writing is the exact opposite of English writing, so I am constantly switching gears. English writing just doesn't interest me anymore.

I wonder why it ever did?

Moral of the story (if there is one): a lot of things change with age, including our interests. I'm beginning to be very thankful that I waited until later in life to get my degree.

No comments: