Friday, September 14, 2007

My First Sick Day

I knew it would inevitibly come...but so soon? Come on....we haven't even hit the peak of flu season yet!

I woke up at 4-something a.m. yesterday (yes, a wee bit earlier than normal) because my sinuses were killing me. I took some over-the-counter sinus medicine that my mom had passed on to me. I had taken it once before & felt like I was on some far-out trip from the 70's, but decided that it would be okay this time. Surely it would be out of my system by the time the alarm went off.

Wrong.

I got up and I was dizzy, sweaty, nauseous and just felt downright out-of-my-mind! All I wanted to do was lie down in a fetal position. And--of yes--my sinuses were still killing me.

But I suffered on....it was school picture day for my kids and even though I don't buy school pictures, I still wanted them to look nice for the yearbook. I even got myself completely dressed right down to the make-up and everything. But I had to lie down.

My sweet husband went to pick up my school-day ritual: a diet Dr. Pepper from the gas station, but I could only take a few sips. Then, when I could wait no longer without being late, I gathered up all my courage, slipped on my monster sunglasses (because when I am sick, I get severely sensitive to sunlight), grabbed my backpack and began the trek to school. I was advised to stop by my DH's office first so he'd know if I was going. I made the two block drive to his office and then he asked me if I could drive on. Maybe. "Can you sit in class all day after you get there?" I dunno.

Two seconds later, I decided to go back home & get in bed.

As it turns out, it was a good decision. I stayed in bed ALL day long, I slept ALL day long (which is very unusual for me) and I ended up bonding with my toilet (a.k.a "puking").

I have no idea what weird illness this was unless it was related to the weird ingredient that was in the medicine I took. At any rate, I did NOT want to miss class so early in the semester. I also had a dental appointment scheduled for yesterday afternoon which I had to cancel. UGH!

I'm hoping that, in the future, I will only be sick on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, or Sunday!

No comments: