Friday, September 21, 2007

Cell Phone Withdrawal

In the not-too-distant past, I didn't even own a cell phone and seemed to get by in life jsut fine. Why is it that if I accidentally forget to bring along my phone these days, I freak out?

Yesterday, I got all the way to campus before I realized that my phone was sitting on my bedroom dresser. I sent an e-mail to my husband once I got to class just in case he tried to track me down (and just in case I didn't show up at home when I was supposed to so he could come looking for me & my broken down car on the side of the road--lol!).

I think the main problem for me is that I use my phone as a watch. I haven't worn a watch since I became a cell phone owner. I admit it--I use my phone to monitor class time most days. Some of my classes have clocks that don't work or are in weird locations. It's much easier to lay your phone on your desk & watch the minutes tick by instead of trying to discreetly look at the clock over your shoulder! Things got pretty tricky for me when we got out of class early. I was planning to walk across campus, but I had no way of knowing what time I needed to head back to my building. So, I decided just to stay-put in the computer lab instead.

Although I did worry about not having a way to contact someone if I did have car trouble, I really just wished I had the phone for passing time on the drive home. Lots of times, I'll use my drive time to catch up with friends and family.

It was a little frustrating to be without my phone, but I'm pretty sure I'll remember to check my bag before I leave from now on!

No comments: