Thursday, August 23, 2007

Class Is Now In Session

My first day of class came and went rather smoothly, though there were a few surprises along the way:

*I did finish Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows after all! I stayed up way too late to do so, but it is finished! Yay, me!

*The bookstore failed to mention to me that they only hold the books they pull for you until 4 p.m. on the first day of class...which was yesterday. Grrrrr.... I calmly (while gritting my teeth) walked back out to my car and pulled my own books in less than three minutes, thank you very much! Luckily, there were plenty of used books left.

*Turns out, by enrolling in one of my classes, I automatically become a reporter for the campus newspaper...and by enrolling in another, I automatically become an editor for the campus newspaper!


*I actually had time to eat lunch (being that on the first day of class it is a cardinal sin to keep students for the entire hour and fifteen minutes). I didn't try the cafeteria, but the food court was actually good. We don't have any of those fancy franchises in our food court, but I was able to enjoy a nice grilled chicken sandwich nonetheless. Choices and flavors have vastly improved since my first go around in college world.

*There were a lot of "getting to know you" exercises today (especially given that my major is Mass Communication). I told a girl in my first class that I had been out of college for ten years now and that it made me feel old to say it. She said, "you don't look old at all!" You've earned some serious bonus points, Missy! In my last class, I had struck up a budding friendship with a gal who asked me "Are you living in the dorms or commuting?" Bless you! A thousand blessings upon you! I thought it was a wonderful way to start and end my day.

*There is a good chance that I might write myself into oblivion this semester. News writing should be fine, but Advanced Composition is questionable. Things I now have to add to my to-do list: write a 10 page research paper, a 15 page paper to submit to an academic journal & a 60 page book. On the upside: there's not a lot of reading involved.

No comments: