Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Beat the Rush

If you're not a freshman student, it's likely that there's no hand-holding for you throughout the college process. You're basically on your own to figure out when to be where and what you need to do before class begins. That can pose a problem for some of us who can't exactly remember all the details about the registration process.

I got lucky.

I was on-campus earlier this summer to finish my enrollment (basically to "seal the deal" before I could back out -- lol!), and I happened to be in the Registrar's Office when I overheard the lady "hand-holding" for an incoming true freshman. She explained where several key buildings are located, told her where she needed to go next (get her ID card made & pick up a parking sticker, neither of which my advisor mentioned to me) and, the best tip that I overheard that day: to go to the bookstore.

Evidentally, some university bookstores have been feeling the pressure from online retailers and resellers and are now trying to keep the cash at home. I went to my bookstore and they wrote down my schedule and will have all of my required books pulled and waiting for me when I arrive on campus this week. They will simply hand me a bill and a bag of books then I will calmly walk right out the door. I can tell you from experience, the bookstore can be brutal during the first week of school. There are plenty of long lines, students running around trying to find all their books, and cranky store employees. Whoever came up with this "pull the books in advance" idea was pure genius.

Honestly, every place on campus will be swamped and crazy during the first week of class. My advice: if it's not already too late, go take care of all the "little things" (ID's, parking stickers, books, any financial aid loose ends, etc.) before school starts. It will save a little bit of your sanity!

No comments: