Thursday, December 11, 2008

Finals Stress

I got up early this morning with the intentions of devoting most of my day to studying for tomorrow's finals. It's now 8 p.m. and I still have not cracked a single study guide or book. Things like last-minute photo editing (things that had to be ordered today before the Christmas shipping cut-off), a daughter's orthodontic appointment and a quick trip to the dreaded department store ended up being the major time suckers. I just spent the past hour trying to wrap up the final chapter in my guided study class only to find that my software program is too updated for the book I'm using (which means I will have to spend some time in the lab tomorrow--ugh!). I'm trying not to stress out, but I do admit to feeling slightly panicky. Mostly, I'm just bummed that there is a lo-o-o-o-ng night ahead of me. Bummer.

Maybe a trip down memory lane will help. Remember this jewel of a poem: 'Twas the Night Before Finals?

'Twas the night before finals,
And all through the college,
The students were praying,
For last minute knowledge.

Most were quite sleepy,
But none touched their beds,
While visions of essays
Danced in their heads.

Out of the taverns
A few were still drinking,
And hoping that liquor
Would loosen their thinking.

In my apartment,
I had been pacing,
And dreading exams,
I soon would be facing.

My roommate was speechless
Her nose in the books
And my comments to her
Drew unfriendly looks.

I drained all the coffee
And brewed a new pot,
No longer caring
That my nerves were shot.

I started at my notes,
But my thoughts were muddy,
My eyes were ablur,
I just couldn't study.

"Some pizza might help,"
I said with a shiver.
But each place I called
Refused to deliver.

I'd nearly concluded
That life was too cruel,
With futures depending
On grades had in school.

When all of the sudden,
Our door opened wide,
And Patron Saint Put It Off Ambled inside.

His spirit was careless,
His manner was mellow,
A grin on his face as
He started to bellow:

"What kind of student
Would make such a fuss,
To toss back at teachers
What they tossed at us?"

"On Cliff Notes! On Crib Notes! On Last Year's Exams!
On Wingit and Slingit, And Last Minute Crams!"

His message delivered,
He vanished from sight,
But we heard him laughing
Outside in the night.

"Your teachers have pegged you,
So just do your best.
Happy Finals to all,
And to all, a good test."



To all a good test indeed.

No comments: