Monday, May 26, 2008

Good News For My Degree

Yahoo just featured this article about lucrative work-from-home jobs. The good news is that two of the five are areas covered by my degree and one is closely related. Public Relations was listed as #1 which is a big part of Mass Communication. In fact, I will be taking a PR class this fall and I'm looking forward to it. The other is freelance writing. Both of these jobs can be done from home thanks to the internet and cell phone techonology.

A similar field is graphic design--some of which I already do as a photographer and in desktop publishing at school. I actually planned on minoring in graphic design, but took the easy way out instead, relying on credits I had previously earned in English studies to graduate more quickly.

This is a very encouraging article for me because I have been desperately racking my brain, wondering how I can incorporate my soon-to-be-earned degree and my interests with a job when I live in the middle of nowhere.

It's good to know that there are viable options out there. However, I know for a fact that it takes a lot of work to be a freelancer. Jobs don't come to you--you have to bust your behind to find them and then win them (just b/c you have a great article idea doesn't mean the magazine wants it). This is one of the reasons that I'm not sure freelancing is for me. When I was younger, I loved jobs that were different everyday, but the older I get, I like stability and knowing what to expect so I can plan the rest of my life accordingly. I will continue to look into these areas and see if they are right for me.

No comments: