Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Colleges Are More Flexible Than You Think

When I first decided to go back to college, I did some major debating about whether I should finish a degree online or go the traditional route. As you can tell, traditional university won out for several reasons, but the allure of the flexible online class really intrigued me.

I was surprised to find that traditional schools are way more flexible and accommodating than you think! I first discovered this when I asked my advisor about a "features writing" class that I saw in the undergraduate catalog but not on the class schedule. He told me that it was no longer offered but suggested that I take it as an independent study course instead. Okie-dokie. I did it!

Then, when I realized that I wanted to take summer school but I already had two weeks blocked out on my calendar for travels--things that are very important to me and that I will not compromise for class--my advisor suggested a "hybrid class:" part traditional classroom, part independent study. Basically, I will go in for some lectures and I will work on projects at home. I ended up enrolling in two hybrid courses this summer because the second class was scheduled while I would be traveling. Add those to the one online class I will be taking and that means I won't have to miss my travels at all!



I enrolled in a geography class at another university (it is an online class; my school doesn't offer these), but I was afraid that it wouldn't meet my general ed requirements because it wasn't listed on the transfer list of classes for our state. A quick e-mail to the registrar's office and they said it would be just fine.

Also, I found out that one specific classes listed as requirement for my major could be substituted for another class. I thought that was really weird--aren't requirements "requirements?"--but I was really glad to be able to work it all out. It was the one class preventing me from graduating in December.



So the moral of the story is: if you think traditional university is not for you because it's not as flexible, you might be wrong. Make friends with your advisor because they know all the short-cuts and substitutions that aren't going to be spelled out in any undergraduate catalog. When in doubt, call the registrar's office, and lastly, always eat your Wheaties. Oh wait...maybe you can strike out the last one.

No comments: