Sunday, August 17, 2008

Me? In a Sorority??

When I was a freshman, I was strongly opposed to sororities of any type. I told people that "I refuse to buy friends"--in my eyes, that was the equivalent of membership dues in social sororities. Besides, sororities had bad reputations for activities that I didn't want to be associated with.

So, imagine my surprise when I recently received a postcard inviting me to the Gamma Delta Kappa kick-off at our school this semester. I laughed as I held the postcard covered with blondes and brunettes posing for the camera. From the photos, I assumed it was just another social club (they didn't seem to be doing anything significant other than smiling a lot) and I guessed they must have sent out a mass mailing to all enrolled females.

Then I found out that it is the women's honor sorority on campus and that I had received an invitation because of my GPA. Hold the phones...am I really having these thoughts? "I wonder if they have any older students?" "It would look good on a resume'." "Maybe I should give it a try..." Then I laughed at the absurdity of it all.

The question is: why haven't I thrown away the postcard yet?

No comments: