Friday, August 22, 2008

International Version Textbooks

In an effort to save money on textbooks, I always order online, usually through amazon.com. However, I purchased my Public Relations book through e-bay. I should have known something was "off" when I got a great deal on this expensive textbook, but I thought it was just another student willing to unload it at a low price in order to fund his/her next purchase.

When I received my textbook, I noticed the return address was overseas. It perked my interest, but when I pulled out the book, it looked great. As I was reading the back, I noticed that there was a short paragraph that basically said, "this book should not be purchased in the U.S." Then I saw "international version" printed on the spine.

Great. Just great. Now I've got an international textbook to somehow get rid of and I need a book before class begins.

I went back to the e-bay listing and, sure enough, the seller had clearly written that it was an international version but that all of the text was the same as the U.S. version. It was.

I'm not sure I understand why a textbook that is printed in the same place, uses the same materials and has the exact same wording as mine can be sold at a cheaper rate than its North American counterparts. I guess the American version comes with a little extra sprinkle of capitalism. : )

(That's okay, I like capitalism.)

No comments: