Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Winter Break: The Cold, Hard Facts

I'll be honest: at the beginning of winter break, I felt lost. Out of sync. My routine was completely destroyed. I didn't really like it! Even though I was ready for a break--and even whined about the fact that I thought the break should be a week longer--it was if I was paralyzed and couldn't do anything on my very long winter break to-do list.

I got over it.

Soon, I loved being able to stay up late, watch movies, sleep in, shower late, sit around in sweats all day...it's been wonderful! But I really wouldn't want to live like this forever.

I'm ready to get back to my routine. When I was in my early 20's, I HATED the predictability of my job. It was so boring to me. Now, I crave predictability. I like knowing that every Tuesday and Thursday, I am on-campus; every Wednesday, I 'm holed up in my office doing homework; Friday morning is homework but Friday afternoon is "me time;" Saturday is more "me time" (or "catch up on housework, shuttle kids to activities or travel great distances to visit family members time"); Sunday is reserved for worship (except the occasional catch-up on internet classes after my Sunday nap!) and Monday is for any unfinished homework. I slip in work whenever I can in-between these schedules.

Something I've learned about myself: I crave structure and routine and I do better when under it....even if it is constricting and boring!

No comments: