Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Something Nice to Hang On My Wall

Yesterday was one of those days: why am I doing this, what is the benefit in getting my degree, am I even going to use this thing, and so on.....

The reality is, my degree will probably end up being no more than standard wall decor for me. I'll probably end up in the scores of people who got a degree in a certain field only never to use it. Yay. What an encouraging thought.

Let's face the facts: I live in a rural area; there's not much demand in the field of mass communications. Even if I did work within my field, I would only be making peanuts...which is what I make now with my small business except I get to work when and where I want.

So, to answer the nagging questions in my head:

1. Why am I doing this? Because I always said I would. Because a half-finished degree would always linger over my head. Because I don't want to feel like a college drop-out loser. Because I want my kids to know that education is important.

2. What's the benefit in getting my degree? Because you can't even bring in carts at Wal-Mart anymore without a degree of some sort. Seriously, when is the last time you saw a classified ad that doesn't say something about "college degree required/preferred?"

3. Will I ever use this thing? We'll see...but in the meantime, I can "wow" everyone with my mad Adobe In-Design skills or conflict resolution abilities. {lol}

No comments: