Thursday, July 31, 2008

Summer? What Summer?

This morning, thanks to my youngest daughter who woke up at 5:30 a.m. and couldn't go back to sleep, I got up early and finished my summer coursework. All the "i's" have been dotted and "t's" crossed, so I can officially brush my hands together and call it a semester.

Would I do it all over again if I could? I won't be stupid and say that it was easy juggling school work, my kids' summer activities, my travel schedule and a host of "everyday life" chores. I struggled with spending downtime with my kids (like a real summer should be) and I didn't get to do a great many things that I planned to catch up on this summer.

I spent a lot of time pre-planning my travels to make sure I would have adequate time and internet connections, spent several late nights with in my office, and tried to do homework while keeping an eye on my kids and their friends. Heck, I even spent some quality multitasking time poolside in a bathing suit--lifeguarding, sunbathing and doing homework!

If I were to do it over again, I would....but just once.

If I weren't trying to speed up graduation and complete my degree this fall, I wouldn't have taken summer school nor would I have advised anyone else to. Summer break is really important for recharging batteries and preventing burn-out, but since I can see the light at the end of my tunnel, it has been worth it for me. After all, there's always next summer to catch up on my postponed projects.

No comments: