Wednesday, October 22, 2008

There's No Such Thing As Perfect

Ever had a professor who doesn't seem to believe in perfect? I think I have one. Whenever I make an 'A' on a paper, it inevitably comes back as a 98 or 96 or something 90-ish but there are never any markings on the paper indicating the reason behind the grade.

It's quite confusing--if there are no mistakes, shouldn't I get 100%? If there are mistakes, shouldn't the red ink pen politely point them out so that I can learn and grow? Maybe it comes down to the simple fact that my professor believes that no one is capable of perfection...and I guess I would have to agree with her.

(But I'd still take a 100.)

1 comment:

Mary said...

I have had profs like that. One prof wrote great comments throughout my paper and had no negative or critical comments at all. My grade? A-, with no explanation at all. everyone else got 'C's or lower so I didn't want to be the one to complain about my grade, but it did really bug me! But then I have other profs who write critical comments and still give a 100, so I guess it balances out :-)