Thursday, November 8, 2007

Online Degree vs. Traditional University

Before I enrolled in my present university, I seriously considered a variety of entirely online universities to complete my degree. I could have gotten pretty much the same degree in title, although the class requirements would have been somewhat different. The cost would have been MUCH different as online schools are pretty expensive, but by the time I factor in my gasoline and daycare expenses for my daughter, it probably comes pretty close to even.

But I've noticed that there are several things that I would have missed out on had I not chosen to attend a traditional university.

#1--Interaction with Other Students. I like meeting new people (now that I'm older--it was harder when I was 18). Plus, you never get the same kind of discussion in an online classroom as you do in the "real world." (I know this from experience, having taken several online classes and currently being enrolled in one). Plus, it's always great to get together & whine about our stress and work loads!

#2--Unexpected Free Days. This has become a major "biggee" for me. I've had several classes unexpectedly canceled this month and it has been such a blessing. For instance, today I had two classes canceled, so I didn't have to leave for school until 10:.00 That gave me two hours to wash & put away 5 loads of laundry, make up beds, wash dishes, clean up the kitchen, gather up trash, tidy up the living room and a bunch of other things that have been neglected while I have been doing homework. I was so stressed out last night because of all the things left undone that I woke up in a terrible mood. Those two hours helped me get a grip on the chaos and my day went so much more smoothly.

#3--Hands-on Experience & Guest Speakers. Not all majors require hands-on experience, but it's always so much better than book learning alone. It really reinforces the stuff you learn in class. This semester in Newspaper Editing, we have been working on "dummy-ing" newspapers, which is drawing out the design for each page and deciding where all the bits-and-pieces will go. It would be much easier just to open a computer application & drag the photos and stories around until they fit & looked okay. But, by dummy-ing, I have begun to learn what a good lay-out looks like and how much space is required for the sum of the parts.

Also, this week I was going to have the opportunity to hear a guest speaker--a journalist--who was going to share some of his first hand experiences as a crime reporter and coverage of the Iraqi war as an embedded reporter. (Nevermind the fact that he missed the speaking engagement...that's for another post.)

So far, I feel like I made the right choice in going to a traditional school rather than finishing online.

1 comment:

Frugal New England Kitchen said...

I was so happy to find this Blog from WAHM.com I went back to school through a combination Non-Traditional Online program & regular classroom through Excelsior University & Charter Oak State College after 20 years & finished 3 degrees ~ A.S. ~ B.S. ~ A.S. while working FT, with house, DH, 2 kids & a dog. I It isn't easy, but is definately rewarding. It enabled me to do so many things & advance in my career. Now I am ready to retire and that has given me confidence to start my own eBay business. I am bookmarking your site as I readily endorse alternative sources of education! Good Luck to you!

Moomette's*Magnificents
www.moomettesmagnificents.com
Upscale New & EUC Childrens, Womens, Mens Clothing, eBooks, Mugs, Vintage Collectibles & More!