Friday, January 29, 2010

Little Blessings

Usually, January is a slow, cold month: we're just getting back into the routine of school, winter has slowed down the hustle and bustle of life...but this month has been an extraordinarily stressful time for me. First, I took a winter intercession class right after Christmas. It required me traveling to campus (4 hours away) and staying in a hotel for a few nights. That was actually not so bad: I got to visit with friends that I made during summer school, talk to my professor "in the flesh," clear up some questions, etc. However, we did not get many assignments done while we were there. "No biggie," I thought, "I have a month to get them done." In the meantime, I started back to school (both university and work), I found out that the lesson I was co-teaching was starting early (which meant that I literally had to lock myself in the school library one weekend and work my tail off trying to get a WebQuest written and designed), my daughter's basketball team was playing numerous games, we had a plethora of activities (school, church, personal) that we were involved in, so on and so forth. Not surprisingly, the month flew by much quicker than usual.

I am stressed. I am cranky because I am stressed. I am eating junk because I am stressed. I am not getting enough exercise because there don't seem to be enough hours in a day...and that makes me stressed.

All of my assignments are due at the beginning of next week. I also have my teacher certification test for library-media this weekend. Our college has 100% pass rate (no pressure). STRESS!!!!

What could possibly give this girl a break? A gracious God.

Snow! We have snow!! Snow = snow days = no work = being holed up indoors with nothing pressing to do other than finish homework assignments!!!

All day yesterday, I lounged around in pajamas working on homework for probably ten hours. I wish I could say I got more accomplished, but at least I feel like I'm making progress! I haven't begun studying for my big test nor have I completed two major projects that are due Monday, but I have big plans for today.

I'm just so grateful for little blessings like snow days. What a difference they can make!!

3 comments:

Connie said...

Snow days are a blessing. I'm enjoying one today; extra time to study means a little less pressure and stress.

Betsyanne (E Sheppard) said...

People don't appreciate or know how hard teachers, educators, librarians, and students work to get things ready for school and lessons.

You deserve a big pat on the back! I hope you actually got some snow day rest. :-)

Unknown said...

Snow days allowed me to work from home for three days. The first two days it was great to kick back on my couch and get the same amount of work done that I could get done in the office. By the third day I was feeling "holed up" and wanted to get out, but nonetheless the experience was refreshing. Having some time to myself and not have to deal with the surroundings of the office really let me focus and relax while I got done my daily tasks. By the following week when I came in the office I felt so refreshed. I couldn't agree more that snow days are a blessing - but I'm ready for the warm weather!